Friday, February 17, 2012

An Inconspicuous Celebration Standing Strong


Leading into Black History Month, I found it fitting to take a visit to the Black History Museum and Cultural Center of Virginia. Upon arrival I could not find the exact location since I was looking for a typically large building, instead I found a museum which looked like an old house. I later found out it used to be exactly that. The building was bought by the Council of Colored Women in 1922, led by Maggie Walker. I felt like I was taking a step back into the late 1700s when African Americans started to settle into Jackson Ward. After ringing the doorbell I was greeted by a kind man by the name of Marcus who gave me brochures of the museum before he sat me down to watch a short film. I felt out of place and my expectations of a large historic building were already distorted. I began to question the authority of the museum instead of soaking it all up. Once I began to watch the film I was launched into the intriguing history of Jackson Ward how such a neighborhood obtained the legacy of faith and determination which is maintained today.

The tiny screen presented the film “2nd Street” by Lochie Fuller. This helped me significantly as I learnt the history in Jackson Ward before I even walked around the museum so I could appreciate everything to a greater extent. I thought it was interesting that Duke Ellington used to spend his time there in the mid-1940s also known as the 'Golden Era'. Black people started their own businesses in the 1950s and shops became popular. Changes in downtown Richmond later impacted the area, especially for the shops.

I think it is great that 'the spirit of 2nd Street lives on'. Despite 2nd Street being two blocks away from the museum (Clay street), I could still feel the 2nd street spirit being inside the museum. Jackson Ward denotes the predominately African American neighborhood in Richmond Virginia which the museum does a good job representing. The term “Jackson Ward” originally referred to a voting district which existed from 1871-1902. Despite my expectations of a bigger museum, the artifacts which they had were very interesting. One which particularly caught my eye was “The International Style House Barber Chair” which was used to create business in 1960. This item represents the concentration of beauty salons and barber shops in Jackson Ward at the time. I also found that the Waller’s Jewelry store which still exists today was the first black Jewelry shop opened in Richmond in 1900, by Marcellus C. Waller Sr. (1872-1957). This is a great example of how the lived experience which black people had in Jackson Ward is still at work today.

As I continued my walk through the museum I came across the exhibit titled “A Stitch In Time” which informed me how black entrepreneurs in Jackson Ward tried to take advantage of the need for practical goods around 1921. There was the school of Practical Tailoring which provided blacks and whites the opportunity to learn the skills of tailoring and to prepare its graduates with the knowledge to begin their own tailoring business. What amazes me is the opportunities black people created for themselves after migrating to the area, I think this museum does a great job representing this aspect of black history. I continued my museum tour when I attempted to make my way upstairs before Marcus informed me there was a work in progress and I was not allowed to go up, instead I made my way downstairs.

As I walked down the stairs by framed pictures of the past presidents of the museum I recognize the continued effort to not let go of the achievements and lives of black people in Virginia. I then came across “The Art of Father and Son as One” by Jerome and Jeromyah Jones which was an art display representing the son following in his father’s footsteps as a full time artist. Joromyah's father had been a positive role model in his life which lead to continued success in the family. For over thirty years Jerome has been using his original paintings to teach “the art of life through the love of art” using their gifts to encourage others. The first painting “Friends, Mentors, and Proteges” sets the tone for the display of paintings to follow as it shows Jerome and Jeromyah playing chess with a book open on the table which appears to be a bible. Much of their artwork had religious influences hinted by the bible verses often found within the paintings. I was interested by the Christian faith often lived out by African American people with Arthur Ashe being another example. These paintings reminded me of the Arthur Ashe monument and how below it has a Bible verse below it also. It inspired me to see how black people leaned on God when the going got tough and they found strength through their faith to pursue their life goals. It was made apparent to me that this museum celebrates the human spirit through such collections and I found it highly encouraging.


 As I made my way back upstairs I finally walked into the “Heritage Gift Shop” which sold a range of items from hats to religious art works, African sculptures, jewelry and educational materials. The fact that the museum was so small made the gift shop quite a large part of the museum, rejoicing in the works of the cities oldest African American community. I would have liked to see more historical artifacts but it is apparent that the museum is making a strong effort to continue the celebration of black history today. I walked away having a lot of respect for people who went through such adversity to not only come out the other end with successful businesses but to have significant accomplishments. This historical site is important to the history of America and should continue to be maintained and developed.  


 

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment